Jim Booth, 78, of Lansing, MI, died August 14th, 2016, with his loving wife of 52 years and family by his side.
James Harold Booth was born July 17, 1938, in Baldwin, Kansas, to parents Helen Ehrhardt and Harvey Mellenbruch Booth. He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Kathryn “Kathy” Gebhart Booth; children, Charlotte Harvey (Theophilis) and Tiera Graham (Kal); grandchildren, Josha Harvey (fiancé Dion), Theophilis Harvey III, Takara Page (Marc), Jordan, Savanna, and Mitchal Graham; newly-born great-grandchildren, Maxwell James Page (born July 13th) and Nyla Renee Jackson (born August 12th); sister, Mary Emily Booth Thomas (David House); many nieces, nephews, and cousins.
Jim completed his Bachelor of Science at Kansas State University in Feed Technology in 1960 and his Master of Science in Agriculture and Applied Science in 1962 and came to Lansing to teach at Michigan State University. He finished his work career selling residential real estate.
Jim was well loved and an important member of his family and community. He was Treasurer of Letts Community Center Advisory Board, volunteered regularly as the overnight helper at Loaves and Fishes (his breakfasts were famous), and delivered Meals on Wheels frequently. He was a docent at the Lansing Historical Museum, sang with the Earl Nelson Singers and MSU’s Choral Union, regularly donated blood and platelets to the American Red Cross, and had been a long-time member of Red Cedar Friends Meeting (Quakers).
Jim enjoyed researching and immersing himself in new ideas and sharing these with others. He was a history connoisseur and particularly enjoyed learning about Michigan history. He was an avid reader and attender of concerts, movies, and theatre; he belonged to a book club and two movie groups. Jim also enjoyed travel and spending time with his grandchildren and other family. He was the family glue/foundation and managed the extended family communication of letters and emails.
He will be missed.
A memorial service will be held Saturday, August 27, 2016, at 10:30 a.m. at Red Cedar Friends Meeting House, 1400 Turner Street, Lansing, MI 48906. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to Loaves & Fishes Ministry to be used for quality kitchen cookware or to Michigan Historical Foundation – 19th Century Exhibit Renovation.