Funeral director A.A. Wilbur founded our company and served the community from its first location at 204 E. Grand River Ave. in North Lansing. Subsequently, the business was acquired by Mr. Haite and Mr. Jarvis. Eventually, the latter partner was successor to the company interests, and the firm became know as the E. L. Jarvis Company.
In 1914, Floyd W. Estes purchased a half-interest in the funeral home. The facility was mainly a furniture store, with accommodations for funeral service. In 1923, a new building was erected at the present Lansing location to better meet the professional demands of the community. In 1941, an extensive addition was constructed, which more than doubled the space, to better serve the needs of a prosperous and growing community.
Following Mr. Jarvis’ retirement, Mr. Estes invited Mr. Harry E. Leadley to become a partner. At this time the firm name was changed to Estes-Leadley Company. In 1949, they purchased the Logan Funeral Home in Holt. In the 1950s, Jack B. Holmes, Stanley C. Nichols and Harold Ancell became partners in the business. In 1958, a major addition to the Lansing location was completed to further serve the area. In the 1970s, Harry Holmes and Lance R. Lynch became partners. In 1989, the original Holt Chapel was replaced with a new building.
In November of 1997, Service Corporation International (SCI) purchased the company. Then, in June 2007, the business was purchased by two of its funeral directors and became locally owned once again. Mr. Jeremy Gough and Mr. Steven Morgan continue to operate the funeral homes.